This recipe uses the natural sweetness that comes from roasting beats. Pair it with the a dressing packed with citrus and a hint of honey and you’re sure to have a crowd-pleaser.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 6-8 whole beets (golden and red)
- olive oil
- sea salt
- 1 stalk of fennel
- For Dressing
- 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 tbsp Tuscan olive oil (regular works just fine too!)
- 1 tbsp pure honey
- chopped dill
- salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Remove the long greens from the beets and wash very well. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Cut beets in half toss them in a generous amount of olive oil and place face-down on a foil-lined baking sheet (makes for easier clean-up!).
- Fold the foil up into a pouch and pinch closed.
- Roast for 25-35 minutes or until tender.
- At this point, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Add 1/2 a cup of shaved (of finely sliced) fennel to the dressing, allowing it to marinate for a bit. Set aside.
- Once beets are tender, remove from oven and let cool. Once they are at a manageable temperature, peel off the skins. Warning: the red beets will stain clothes they come in contact with! Proceed with caution.
- Cut beets into smaller sections or quarters and arrange on a plate. Garnish with shaved fennel and an extra drizzle of the dressing and you’re good to go!
By Kasey Potts of Kasey’s Kitchen