1. Strawberry Brown Sugar Mask (For Acne Prone Skin)
Benefits: Strawberries contain a natural component called Salicylic acid, which is often an ingredient found in over the counter acne treatments. With the help of the brown sugar to exfoliate and the honey (which is a natural hydrogen peroxide) to cleanse, this mask is an easy organic acne remedy.
- 6 6trawberries
- 1 Tablespoon of honey
- 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- De-stem the strawberries and put into a food processor.
- Add remainder of ingredients and process again until a paste begins to form.
- Apply the mask for ten minutes and then remove with a warm (not hot) wash cloth.
2. Avocado Honey Mask (For Dry Skin)
Benefits: Avocados are often referred to as “Mother Nature’s Moisturizer”. Containing healthy fats and phytonutrients (healthy vitamins and minerals found in plant life) this avocado mask will help to soothe and rehydrate your dry or aging skin.
- ½ Avocado (very ripe and soft for mashing)
- ¼ Cup of Honey
- Mash avocado in bowl and then stir in the honey.
- Apply to skin and leave on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse your face off with a cool washcloth.
3. Turmeric Powder Mask (For Brightening Tone)
Benefits: Turmeric has been a beauty secret in Eastern culture for centuries. The best part of this mask is you can customize it to your skin type, adding yogurt for oily skin or olive oil for dry skin. The turmeric powder is a natural bronzer for skin in moderation.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: Not recommended for those with very fair skin. Turmeric can temporarily stain very fair skin if too much of the mask is applied or left on too long. This mask is recommended for those with a tone about fair or light. If staining does occur, do not panic, it will fade after a few hours.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 3 drops of honey
- For Oily Skin: ¼ cup of plain yogurt and 2 drops of lemon juice
- For Dry Skin: 2 Tablespoons olive, almond or coconut oil
- Mix flour and turmeric together.
- [For oily skin] Add lemon juice to the above and stir while gradually adding in yogurt creating a paste. Feel free to add or take away yogurt depending on the texture you want and the level of brightness.
- [For dry skin] Add oil to the flour and turmeric and stir creating a paste or additional oil for more of a cream.
- Leave mask on for 15-20 minutes and remove with a warm wet washcloth that you wouldn’t mind staining. Be careful, turmeric will stain fabrics if applied for too long.
4. Lemon Egg White Mask (For Tightening and Toning)
Benefits: Egg whites are a great way to draw the toxic oils out of your skin while moisturizing and tightening up loose skin. Meanwhile, lemon can do a lot of awesome things for your skin- like get rid of dark or age spots and clean up black heads.
- Juice from half of a lemon, strained.
- 1 egg white
- Beat together the egg white and lemon juice for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Apply a thin layer to the face while avoiding eyes.
- Keep the mask on for about 20-30 minutes and then rinse off with mildly warm water.
5. Cucumber Face Mask (For oily skin)
Benefits: Cucumber is a natural skin cleanser that replenishes and hydrates the skin for a long lasting effect. There also are considered a wound healer so will help to subdue and erase and acne scars or other imperfections on the skin.
- ½ cucumber
- 1 egg white
- 1 Teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Teaspoon mint
- In a food processor or blender, puree all ingredients
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Apply mask and leave for 15 minutes.
- Remove mask with a warm towel and then wash face with cold water.
By Lori Gottlieb