Question: i really want to get into meditation but I’m not quite sure where to start… any advice?
Megan’s Answer: First thing to know- everyone can meditate. Meditation is not about stopping your thoughts and clearing your mind. You have between 60-80,000 thoughts per day. They are not going anywhere. Each one of those thoughts has a vibrational quality and meaning associated with it.
I find mantra meditations to be effective because you’re introducing a thought that has no meaning. Here’s an easy mantra that you can use while following your breath.
- Sit comfortably with your eyes closed gently. Try to choose a place where disturbances will be minimal.
- 2. Take a slow deep breath in through your nose while silently repeating or thinking the word SO.
- Slowly exhale through your nose while silently repeating or thinking the word HUM.
- Continue this for up to 20-30 minutes, or however long you have. When your attention drifts away from this mantra (and it will), to other thoughts in your mind, a noise in your environment or a sensation in your body, gently drift back to the repetition of the mantra SO HUM.
- Practice, practice, practice! You may not be able to sit still for a full 20-30 minutes at first, but practice doing it for a couple more minutes each time.
By Megan Monahan
- Wellness Question of the Week: How do I Deal with Anxiety at Work?