The warm weather has finally arrived (…in LA at least!) and with it, comes the Kentucky Derby and my favorite summertime drink, the Mint Julep.The mint julep has been the official drink of the Derby since 1938. Each year almost 120,000 juleps are consumed at Churchill Downs over the two-day period of the races.
I don’t suggest trying to match that, but find a big beautiful derby hat, bet on the ponies or get some much deserved sun after a long winter and enjoy!
To make a mint julep you’ll need:
- 1 sugar cube
- 1/2 oz simple syrup
- 8-10 mint leaves
- 2 1/2 – 3 oz Bourbon (Woodford Reserve is the official Bourbon of the Derby)
- Muddle mint and sugar together in a mixing glass.
- Add Bourbon
- Pour into a rocks glass or a silver julep cup.
- Fill entire glass with crushed ice
- Garnish with a bushel mint sprigs.
Off to the races!By Karen Grill