The only answer I’ve been able to come up with is: discipline.
Being disciplined and in control of our daily lives is our key to success. The things we do are so simple in theory, but hard for most people to live out. We feel our healthiest and best when we are disciplined in all aspects of our lives, and we feel the difference when we aren’t.
Here’s a list of things we do to keep our lives in order. For us, all of these things are 100% necessary:
- We go to bed at early, 10pm, and wake up early, at 5am. This gives us 7 hours of sleep, and plenty of time to have a peaceful morning before work starts.
- We make personal time for ourselves as well as each other every day. Dave likes to watch Lakers games, I like to go to the salon; that’s how we relax separately. We spend most afternoons together having lunch, brainstorming, and just relaxing.
- We track everything. Food, weight, workouts, client retention, monthly sales, and set projected sales goals. It helps us to know exactly where we stand and set goals for the future.
- We work out every day– morning, afternoon, evening, or whenever. Fifteen minutes, thirty minutes, or sixty minutes, it doesn’t matter. The point is that it happens every day. Working out is not only vital to our business, but also our bodies and our minds. We work better after a great workout!
- We keep a pretty regimented diet… Sunday through Friday. On Saturday we will typically have some wine with dinner and maybe a little treat that we didn’t have during the week. We don’t drink on weeknights as it messes up numbers 1-4 and we can’t have that!
- We make it a point to be in a state of action, not reaction with all situations. Dan Gable said “Be PREPARED in all you do” and we try to do just that. It’s the little stuff like giving yourself enough time to get ready in the morning, not rushing in the door at the last minute, having your clothes clean, and keeping your house and work place organized, and bringing snacks with us so we don’t get stranded and starving!
Whether you use these tools or you write your own, you need to make sure you are setting aside a little time every day to focus on trying to keep your life in order. And make sure you are constantly striving to better yourself. Make small goals and map out steps and you’ll be well on your way before you know it!
By Dylan Davies